Saturday, November 9, 2013

Relationship Reflection


Relationships are important to me for many reasons. One reason relationships are important are becuase positive relationships are edifying, support my self-esteem, and teach me how to treat others in a way they want to be treated.

Diana (Mother):

My mother and I have a positive relationship because she supports my ideas and encourages me to take risks. She also gives me honest advice when I ask her for it and she gives me suggestions on ways I might want to consider when making big decisions.


"Nanny" (Grandma):

My grandma and I have a positive relationship because she also supports my decisions and offers support by reflecting on what it was like "back in her day." Factors that contribute to my relationship with my grandma are commonalities between us. I enjoy learning about "her day" and believe that older individuals have a lot of wisdom to offer.


Kalpana (Friend):

My friend and I have a positive relationship because I feel we are both honest and open with each other. We give advice to each other, even when the advice is not something we want to hear. We also come from very different cultures, as she is from India and I am from the United States, and seem to value each other's cultures and beliefs, even when we think parts of our cultures are strange. Factors contributing to our relationship is our honesty and open-mindedness.


Patients (Dental Patients):

I felt I should mention my patients because I feel I have earned their trust and have formed a positive relationship with them over the years. Factors that have contributed to my relationship with my patients are having good listening skills, valuing opinions, and being compliant.



     Although my relationships are mostly positive ones, there are some challenges to developing and maintaining relationships that I have learned to experience over time. One challenge is learning what is important to them and how I can find ways to value their beliefs. Another challenge is to have effective conversations when I disagree with them. In addition, it is also challenging keep relationships current. I think one characteristic to my relationships being partnerships is having a common interest in something and cultivating that interest and a will in wanting to invest in forming a relationship with someone. I feel my relationships with others in my personal and professional life contribute to my work as an effective early childhood professional because I have effective relationships with individuals who have differing cultures, views, and beliefs other than my own. I also feel my ability to be a good listener and value differences will be supportive in my impact on being an effective early childhood educator.






3 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to have such a good support system as you obtain your goal as an early childhood professional. What an asset to have someone in your life such as your grandmother that can listen to you, someone you can identify with. I encourage you to continue to value, cultivate, and find commonness with others as you make an impact in the lives of children.
    Sherry Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jana
    Relationships will boost self esteem because you feel as though you are loved and respected. It is important as educators to have a sense of good self worth, since educators can provide this to children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jana,
    Thanks for sharing. When you disagree with someone within the conversation, just politely state your opinions. We can agree to disagree. I have a two friends I can call when I know I am wrong but I need to listen to another opinion. Just food for thought!

    ReplyDelete