Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

An example of a microaggression I witnessed this week would have to do with sexual orientation.  At one of the cosmetic stores where I live, there are two males who work there.  I was looking over the various colors of rouge, when I overheard a lady ask one the males if he could help her find the right color foundation for her face, and then added, “You’ll be better at this than I will.”  After observing this microaggression, I immediately thought of the video I watch with Dr. Sue and when he said that unintentional microaggressions are more damaging than others.  I believe this lady was trying to compliment the guy, but naturally assumed he was gay and that gay men are better at dealing with make-up.  The man was friendly and did help the lady, but I wondered what he was thinking and if he was gay, how did he feel about her assumption? 

This week’s readings and video reminded me to be more sensitive to stereotypes, discriminations, and prejudices.  I did not realize unintentional microaggressions could do more harm than the others, as it demeans, insults, and causes it targets to feel less valued.  I also did not realize that prejudices can begin at age 3.  Personally and professionally, as an early childhood educator, I feel it is so important to instill in children positive social-emotional developments to value and respect all people, especially those different from themselves.  Children should be able to recognize differences and embrace those differences instead of distancing themselves from it and producing negative feelings, which are difficult to reverse as children grow older.  We must strive to be an inclusive society for all people and to educate our young children about the need to perceive the views of others and work effectively together to make positive connections, which will produce positive outcomes towards a better society.  
 
Reference
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jana,
    I completely agree with you. However, what I have learned is that sometimes, many of these thoughts and perceptions are those that are ascribed, or learned. If the parents in the home are neglectful or unaware of the damages associated with stereotyping, discrimination or prejudice then this can and in most cases will be passed down to the children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this lady's case I wonder if she was just saying because he worked there that he might be better at this than she was. I totally agree and feel that maybe she presumed the he was guy. I always just try to look at the glass half full type thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana,

    Great blog, I have to agree with Dr. Sue in that unintentional microaggressions are the most damaging. It is so unfortunate that we don't tend to think before we speak. I express this to my child on many occasions you have to think about what you might say and how someone may find it offensive.

    ReplyDelete