Friday, July 19, 2013

Personal Childhood Web

People who influenced my life as a child, cared for me, and made me feel special:

Grandpa:  Bill

     My grandpa was a very large, but gentle man with a deep voice. My grandpa influenced my life by always acknowledging my presence, giving me encouraging words, taking me to fun places, and giving me choices.  Although he is no longer with us, I often think about how he strived to make good choices to benefit others. 

     His favorite quote to say:  "Be slow to answer and quick to hear."

Mother: Diana

     My mother is a very prim-and-proper lady who values hard work and excerise.  My mother influenced my life by staying home to take care of me and my siblings when we were younger.  She always made nutritious home-made meals and kept our house clean.  She was also devoted to making sure we were "spiritually sound" by making sure we spent adequate time in church and in studying the Bible.  She also wanted her children to be hard-working and independent.  As we grow older, we always had our own rooms to clean throughout the house, worked out in our garden, and learned some about our family business, which was a gas station.  My mom continues to make me feel special by continuing to teach me ways to be a good mother to my own children.


Aunt:  Kathleen

     My aunt is a hard-worker who raised successful children on her own.  My aunt influenced my life as a child by trying to take me everywhere she went and would often say I was her own child.  Even after she had her own children, she made sure we spent our own special time alone together shopping and/or going out to eat.  My aunt continues to make me feel special by calling me often to ask how I am doing and how my own children are doing.  She also comes to visit us when she is able.  My favorite memory of her is the time she took me shopping to get her daughter clothes and some school supplies.  She told me it was up to me to pick everything out for her daughter.  I chose the type of clothes I would love to wear and the type of supplies I would want to use in school.  When she dropped me home after shopping, she said, "Oh don't forget your bags."  She surprised my by buying me those items.  To this day, I still have one of the tops and skirts she bought me on that trip because I appreciated her deed so much. 

Sister: Michelle

     My sister is a very passionate person who enjoys trying new things.  She is also my older sister who often did her best to make sure I was doing what I was told and kept me out of trouble.  She would help me read books and explained words I did not understand in a way I could understand them.  She made me feel special because she took the time to guide me in what was right and wanted me to be educated.  She continues to make me feel special because she calls me almost every day to share new thoughts and to encourage me to finish my educational goal.  She is my biggest support in my decision to go back to school. 

Teacher: Mrs. Pierson

     Mrs. Pierson was a very petitie woman who had a gently disposition.  When I was in Kindergarten, she was the most wonderful teacher.  Mrs. Pierson spent a lot of one-on-one time with me to teach me specific skills, especially in reading and math.  I feel because of her efforts, I become an above average reader and was usually advanced in my math skills.  I never saw her lose her  patience with any of her students and she always had a smile on her face.  She always made me feel special in the way she always seemed eager to help me learn and take the time to listen to my ideas and answer any questions.  I often think about what she would do in some situations I am in with young children and it seems to get me through it. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jana.family is a very important component of life.I have had a beautiful childhood,learning from all members of my family.I was fortunate to have grown up to adulthood with my grand parents alive. their words of wisdom have been an inspiration for me all my life.I see a reflection of my relationship with my parents and by extension with my own children, in they ways they related with me during my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your grandpa's favorite quote to say: "Be slow to answer and quick to hear." It is so truthful and I am sure you try and that saying in the back of your head everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, I love your grandfather's favorite quote. It is so true and very important to live by. We can change the world we live in by implementing this into our lifestyles. I love it!

    ReplyDelete