Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

"Each of us must come to care about everyone else's children. We must recognize that the welfare of our children is intimately linked to the welfare of all other people's children. After all, when one of our children needs life-saving surgery, someone else's child will perform it. If one of our children is harmed by violence, someone else's child will be responsible for the violent act. The good life for our own children can be secured only if a good life is also secured for all other people's children” (The Natural…,1997).

~Lilian G. Katz

“Let’s keep up the good work for the sake of the children. The best way to influence others is to do the best we can! It may very well be that what we do speaks more loudly than what we say” (Katz, 2007).

~Lilian G. Katz

Developmentally appropriate practices are ways of teaching that vary for or adapt to the age and experience of the individual learner. So fundamentally the definition has not changed. Instead, it has been expanded to include the fact that not only do you have to consider children as individuals, but you also have to consider children as members of groups with their own cultural identities”  (Early Childhood, 2013).
~Sue Bredekamp

If the first three years of life are deprived in terms of stimulation and interaction with warm, nurturing human beings, it's going to be real tough for the child to acquire the depth and breadth of verbal language needed to build reading abilities” (Early Childhood, 2013).
~Sue Bredekamp

“…I had a, I think, a built in passion that it was important to make a real contribution to the world and to fix all the injustices that existed in the world and I wanted to do that through teaching” (Laureate, 2013).
~ Ms. Sparks

“And, I truly believe that I am not here to save the world, I’m here just to make a difference in my community I am working” (Laureate, 2013).
~Mr. Hernandez

“…I found, during the time I was in charge of that program, that working intently with children and their families was almost like earning a doctorate, because every year there was always a specific challenge, I was in charge, I had to meet it.  I had to meet it for me, I had to meet it in terms of what I was modeling for my staff and what they would be taking away and incorporating into their own personal repertoire, and also I had to meet it for the families that I worked with, I always felt I owed them that”(Laureate, 2013). 
~ Ms. Cooper

“I learned it is not all about you.  You’ve got to take your ego out of it to think about what is best for this child…” (Laureate, 2013). 
~Ms. Cooper

“Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve” (The Quote Garden, 2013).
 ~Roger Lewin

“The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions” (The Quote Garden, 2013).
 ~Bishop Mandell Creighton




References
Early Childhood Today. (2013). Sue Bredekamp & Susan Neuman on Learning to Read. Retrieved from   http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/ect-interview-sue-bredekamp-susan-neuman-learning-read/
Katz, Lilian. (2007).  Early Childhood Research and Practice:  International Perspectives on Early Childhood Education: Lessons from My Travels. Retrieved from http://ecrp.uiuc.edu/v1n1/katz.html/ 
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2013). The Passion for Early childhood [Webinar]. Baltimore MD: Author. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_3397737_1%26url%3D
The Natural Child Project.  (1997).  Retrieved from http://www.naturalchild.org/quotes/1997.html
The Quote Garden. (2013).  Quotations about Education. Retrieved form http://www.quotegarden.com/education.html

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful qoutes Jana.The beauty of the early childhood field is that there is so much to learn from so many people out there;and they are just a mouse click away.Thank you for bringing these words of wisdom to light for people like me to learn from and emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana, the quote about developing reading abilities based off of the necessity of a loving and nurturing environment is incredible to me. I would have never thought of that being an issue, but I can recall some students who come from strict homes and their reading ability suffered. Parents always say we don't have time to do what the school should be doing. It's sad but so true. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, great quotes, words cannot express the thanks I give you. Your comments and encouragement will always be appreciated by your colleagues.

      Delete
  3. The individuals who motivate you speak real truths and have a power message. The words for Katz and Cooper are inspiring to me as well. They personify what teachers and educators should be about. Thank you for sharing your convictions. I look forward to many more discussions

    ReplyDelete