Saturday, September 14, 2013

Child Development and Public Health (SIDS)

I chose the topic of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).  I chose this topic because the United States' SIDS rate is still too high and so I wanted to learn about a country with a very low SIDS rate.  I learned that Japan, another industrialized country like the United States, not only has one of the lowest infant mortality rates (less than 3 infants per 1000 live births compared with around 7 for the United States), but is a country of the lowest SIDS rates in the world (between .2 and .3 babies per 1000 live births compared with approximately .5 per 1000 infants for the US) (McKenna, 2013).  The Japan SIDS Family Organization reported that SIDS rates continue to decline in Japan as maternal smoking is almost non-existent and exclusive breastfeeding reaches up to 75 % (McKenna, 2013).  Additionally, one report shows that as bedsharing and breastfeeding increased and as maternal smoking decreased, SIDS rates decreased. This suggests yet again that it is not necessarily bedsharing, but how it is practiced, that can be dangerous (McKenna, 2013).  In all, there are many factors associated with SIDS.

Other potential risk factors include:
  • smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
  • poor prenatal care
  • prematurity or low birth weight
  • mothers younger than 20
  • tobacco smoke exposure following birth
  • overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
  • stomach sleeping
                                                                              (Kids Health, 2013)

This is one topic I definitely want to know more about as it could greatly impact my work with children.  I will have a center that accepts young children as young as 6 weeks of age.  Knowing more about SIDS will help me minimize risks associated with SIDS and maximize children's safety from 6 weeks of age to 12 months of age.  I will continue to learn more about this topic and share what I know with families as well. 

References

Kids Health (2013).  SIDS.  Retrieved from http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sids.html

McKenna, James J. (2013).  Cosleeping Around the World.  Natural Child Organization.  Retrieved from http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mckenna/cosleeping_world.html
 
  •  

 

3 comments:

  1. Your post was very imformative. I wasn't aware that if you bear a child and you are under twenty your child is at risk for SIDS. It would be imperative to know all about SIDS if you plan to have a center for early development, it is the perfect platform to inform parents on how to prevent this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post about sudden infant death syndrome. I have read a little bit about this topic before but you really did a lot of research and I learned even more about it. Im glad to have the pleasure of reading your post. It was very informative, and the case is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIDS is topic that hits home for me. My little cousin died from SIDS and I would love it if they could get more research on it and find contributing factors that could cause this sudden tragedy.

    ReplyDelete