Saturday, September 7, 2013

Childbirth in My Life

     Although I have given birth to three children myself, my sister's recent birthing experience comes to mind when I think about the influences of child development.  My sister was 43 years old when she gave birth to her first, and probably only, child.  Her son was born a month early early due to complications with my sister's blood pressure.  About two weeks prior to being diagnosed with high blood pressure, my sister mentioned how bloated and tired she felt to me, as well as a picture of her swollen foot via cell phone.  And, from my own experience of pregnancies and typical bloating from being pregnant, I quickly determined her bloating was not normal and suggested she go to her doctor immediately.  When she called to make an appointment with her doctor, the doctor told her it was probably not necessary for her to come in and that bloating was common.  I still insisted my sister make the appointment and at the very least told her to get her blood pressure checked.  My sister did not insist on making the appointemt with her doctor, but did have her blood pressure checked and discovered it was dangerously high.  With such high blood pressure her doctor put her on medication and ordered bed rest.  During the two weeks of bedrest, my sister's high blood pressure continued to be dangerously high and her doctor made the decision to take the baby a month early by C-section.  My nephew was fortunately born healthy and my sister's health improved. 

     I chose my sister's birth as an example because of the timing of it.  My sister was an older mother and was having complications that could harm both her and the baby by damaging the placenta and my sister's organs.  I think sometimes we need to seek the advice and/or services of a variety of people to gain a better idea of when and how we should react to our circumstances, especially when it is a new experience.     

1 comment:

  1. I agree Jana , I enjoyed your post. It's important to take someone's advice, especially if you're in a situation that relates to your health conditions. You gave a great example on child birth experiencing.

    ReplyDelete