Saturday, March 14, 2015

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels


     Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

 

     I found one local community, Sara E. Raymond School of Early Education (part of District 87 public schools) of interest to me.  I chose this school because it is a pre-kindergarten program for at-risk children for academic difficulty.  In addition, the program also serves young children with special needs.  The program offers half days, either morning or afternoon.  Young children are taught language, social, research-based curriculum skills, and the program values structured play.  I like that the program mentions ‘play’ as part of its curriculum.  I also like that teachers are licensed ECE and receive public school salaries as well!


 

     My second local community I found is the Child Protection Network (CPN).  This organization is also within my community and serves to protect abused and neglected children.  I like this organization because of who and why it serves.  This network is for the rights of children, even to provide legal assistance, and believes serving young children serves the greater good of the community.  So true!  The organization also receives most of its funding through grants and donations.

 


 

My third organization is found within my state and is the Illinois Association for the Education of Young Children.  I like this organization because it is a strong advocate for young children and their families, like the NAEYC, and is connected to the NAEYC.  This organization is current on trends, policymaking decisions, opportunities for professional development, and issues within early childhood along with research, ideas, policies and standards all adhering to best practices. 

 

Illinois Assoc. for the Edu. Of Young Children: http://illinoisaeyc.org/

 

     Job opportunities that currently interest me are becoming an owner/director of a learning center, teaching college-level courses, and/or any opportunity to be a strong advocate for young children and their families that provided livable wages.  For the aforementioned jobs, I would likely need training/mentoring and the help of a team of people (within my CoP) to be able to efficiently and effectively do my job well.     

 

5 comments:

  1. Jana, I really enjoyed reading your post and was impressed with the services that the Sara E. Raymond School of Early Intervention offered. I also am very interested in working with at risk children and those who are experiencing developmental delays. It is refreshing to see that your community is doing their part in this area to ensure that these children are receiving much needed services. Being connected to your local childhood protection agency is a must for all early childhood educators. These children rely on us to be their first line of defense and if we are not willing to be active in this area, their voice will never be heard. Thank you for sharing the great information that you found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jana,
    These are great organizations you found within your community. I especially enjoyed reading about the Child Protection Network (CPN). I am not familiar with this organization but was truly drawn to it. Having an organization that helps and protects abused and neglected children is a wonderful support for children and families. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jana,

    Great job selection from local and state agencies. I work with my school district teaching Early Childhood education at the post-secondary level. I enjoy it everyday! I have the opportunity to teach ECE to new preschool teachers and use the pre-k units in my district.

    We do have something in common eventually opening a preschool of my own and becoming a community of practice within my community I treasure and love dearly. Great posting, thanks for sharing!
    TP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana,
      The organization’s that you selected are very good choices. The Sara E Raymond School of Early Education sounds like and awesome school that I would definitely like to be a part of their organization. I would like to work with children who were at risk of academic difficulty. Illinois Association for the Education of Young Children is an organization that I would definitely benefit from the advocacy for children to the professional development this would definitely help with my career.

      Delete
  4. Jana

    I too enjoyed reading your post this week. I share your interest in teaching college level courses to future and current early childhood educators. Your Raymond school sounds like out ECE program that we have here in my school district. Thanks for sharing.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete