Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Communicating with Different Groups and Cultures


Week 3:  Communicating with Different Groups and Cultures

 

Yes, I do find myself communicating with different groups and cultures.  I do this because no two people are the same.  I communicate to meet the needs of the situation and not because individuals are necessarily from different groups and cultures.  If I communicated per group or culture, then I believe I would be making assumptions about people based on their group and culture and individuals are more than being “lumped” into stereotypes. 

 

There are ways I can communicate more effectively with people.  One way is to know myself, which can be done through ongoing self-reflection such as my own beliefs, personality, and traits before I can make any changes to benefit my communication skills.  I may also be more other-oriented by trying to be more cognizant of what others are feeling in order to help them meet their wants and needs.  I may also ask questions and hone my listening skills to learn more about others and how I might support them and show they are valued. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jana,
    It is true, everyone we communicate with being a family member, friend or complete stranger are all different in some sort of fashion. Having effective communication skills are valuable to success in many aspects of life. In our jobs we need to be strong in communication so that we ensure the best tactics for all. If we want to go out and meet new people, our communication skills need to be good in order to find interest in a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jana,
    I think these are great methods to help establish more effective communication. It would be nice if everyone could consider these methods to implement more effective communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana,
    I would have to agree that I am much more reserved going into communication situations where there are cultural or other differences. I feel that allowing the situation and surroundings dictate how we base our actions is a good idea. Because of the nature of culture it is never safe to assume that because someone identifies themselves with culture “X” that they practice all aspects of that culture. While it can be a safe starting point for us to learn more about that person and their culture, it is unfair to make assumptions.
    Thanks for your thoughtful post,
    Amanda
    Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana,

    I have to agree with you about being other oriented. We have to be attune with those whom we are communicating with. For example, I would not have a conversation regarding the intricate details of child development or psychology with someone who doesn't comprehend or have no interest in the subject matter. Part of being an effective communicator is recognizing how to communicate with others. We can never make assumptions that everyone communicates on the same level, or have the same interests.

    Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

    ReplyDelete