Saturday, July 26, 2014

Evaluation of Self as a Communicator


     After reflecting on the similarities and differences between how I evaluated myself as a communicator and how others evaluated me.  I was surprised the most by how others were highly confident in my ability to speak effectively with others.  I am much more critical of myself in feeling the need to do better and striving to do so.  I learned that others view me as having low anxiety when communicating orally.  I also learned that others viewed me as being action-oriented, one who has a strong focus on acting on resolving issues and getting things done.  However, the assessment test I took showed I scored higher in being people-oriented and should be careful of being too trustworthy.  I think after reviewing and reflecting on the results from these assessments, I have learned that having a balance in my communication style and skills is key to my professional and personal life.  Too much skill and style can come across as too aggressive and not enough can come across as too passive and easily manipulated.  I also believe balance come in the form of knowing how to communicate with various people, venues, and circumstances.  Overall, I think honing communication skills and styles takes ongoing time and commitment in being effective with most individuals. 

1 comment:

  1. Jana,

    I too was found to be too trustworthy. You are correct in that having a balance will help in knowing how to communicate with people from other cultures etc. I also feel that communication skills and styles will take time and commitment in being effective with people from many different cultures.

    ReplyDelete